Friday, June 20, 2008

Doers

Almost every day someone tells me they have a great idea. This has been happening all my adult life, especially since I started to make films, run companies or direct study at universities. Originally I found this very flattering. How great that people wanted to show me their terrific ideas that were about to change the world as we know it.

It took me a very long time to understand that this wasn’t the point. Most people are showing you their idea because they want you to help them.

Why admire people who simply have ideas and then think this makes them wonderful. Ideas are like anal orifices, everyone has one. I admire people who complete ideas and turn them into a finished article. These people are doers rather than dreamers. Just such a person is Jon Mackley.

Jon used to work with me when he was a very young man, and I was merely younger. He jobs became progressively less menial, as he went up the ranks in our small, but taxing firm. I should add that he is still a youngish man, well comparatively, but not quite so youthful. Jon went to university after his work with my family’s business and I believe he earned two degrees plus a doctorate.

Whilst working as a lecturer and completing his doctorate he also found the time to write his learned book, “The Legend of St. Brendan” which describes how the Irish abbot journeys to Paradise and the marvelous encounters he experiences. It will soon be available on Amazon books and I hope some of you buy it. Good luck with the book J.S. you deserve it, you’re a talented and hard working man, which I always knew, but add to that the most important of all accolades, Jon, you’re a doer!

No comments:

Post a Comment