Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pledging our Allegiance

Being a good citizen is not the same thing as being a subject of Her Majesty the Queen. Although I have great sympathy with the former, I am not happy being a subject of anyone, however pleasant, by accident of birth.

Today Lord Goldsmith, undoubtedly of the great and good category, came forth with the finding that our kids should, on graduating senior school, pledge allegiance to the Queen. I don't think anyone should.

When I was a child I was happy to stand up whilst our national anthem dirge was played at the end of every night's cinema shows, or elsewhere, at any event of note. Now I would prefer for us to have Land of Hope and Glory as our national anthem, which is both a better tune and more of what I, and many others support. Our country, for which we have much love and pride, but not our Royal Family, for whom I have no wish to tug on my forelock.

1 comment: